”Tis the season to spend time with family and friends. And for some of us, that means a nice long car journey. Whether you are going to be travelling up or down the coast or inland, some preparation is key – there’s nothing worse than breaking down on the highway knowing that it could’ve been prevented!
So here is some helpful advice for the long trip ahead:
1) See a mechanic before your trip – you’ll want to make sure you have no major issues that could ruin the ride.
2) If you’re not already a member, join an automobile association – you never know if/when you’ll need some roadside assistance.
3) If your car doesn’t have one, go and buy yourself a good quality satellite navigation system – that doesn’t mean that you should skip out on the old school maps, so keep one in the boot just in case!
4) Pack a roadside emergency kit including things like the car manual, first aid kit, phone charger etc. – if the worst was to happen, you want to make sure that you and your family are as comfortable as possible.
5) Clean your car inside and out – and maybe even buy a nice festive air freshener to get you all in the Christmas spirit.
6) Make space for luggage – with Christmas being the time for giving, you’ll have a little more luggage than usual with gifts for your nearest and dearest.
7) Make a Christmas playlist/Bring a Christmas CD – get everyone singing along to some Christmassy music to help pass some time.
8) Check your planned route before you leave for any last minute roadworks or road closes – the last thing you’ll want to do is to waste gas on finding a new way to your destination.